Sourcing and shipping fresh peppers are tedious and difficult to do correctly. Growing fresh peppers takes a lot of capital, time, and know-how. Growing chilis must also be done in the proper climate which simply is not doable for most companies. Handling fresh peppers presents its own set of challenges which require more work than simply using mash or dried ingredients. However, it can be done.
In my 14 years of experience selling capsicum ingredients, I have noticed a difference between companies who work with fresh peppers, and those who switch to our pepper mash or dried peppers. Usually, the companies that are working with fresh peppers stay small and companies buying dried ingredients or mash from us have a significant growth every year. The fact of the matter is that a small company cannot be the grower, sourcing agent, processor, co-packer, and brand manager. It’s 5-6 different departments all in 1. It just can’t work. Fresh peppers present unnecessary challenges to small businesses who want to use chili in their ingredients. For us at Magic Plant Farms, we don’t really care what you will be using but we are offering the option to save you the hassle, time, and risk.
The majority of hot sauce companies do not use fresh peppers. Even Tobasco does not grow their own peppers.
I added the table below to present why using pepper mash or dried peppers is better than using fresh peppers.
Pros and cons for pepper mash vs fresh peppers.
|Fresh peppers ||Pepper Mash|
- Not available all year round
- Available all year round.
- Ready to ship within days.
- We grow, process, and stock the product for you in TN, for the time you need it.
- Fresh peppers must be used within few days or stored in a freezer which will cost more electricity and it will take more space.
- Can be stored at ambient room temperature for 2 or more years.
- Just order what you need. Save electricity and space.
- Processing fresh peppers required more labor, tools, equipment, and handling such as sourcing or growing, washing, crushing, blending, fermenting, filling.
- You waste more time to become a producer instead of focusing your energy on the sales and marketing of your brand.
- Just send an email to Magic Plant Farms with your desired order of pepper mash or dried peppers, and we will ship your order within few days.
- You will have more time to focus on sales, marketing, branding, and business development.
- Fresh peppers are not available in all varieties.
- ( usually, you can only find a limited qty of jalapeno, cayenne and habanero, serrano)
- You are limited with product development. You stuck with common peppers only.
- Our pepper mash and dried peppers available in more than 50 pepper varieties. Allowing you to diversify by developing and offering more products from our exotic, rare, and unique chilies.
- Fresh peppers will waste your time and energy.
- Our pepper ingredients, pepper mash, and dry peppers will save your time and energy.
- By processing your own peppers, you will need to have HACCP certificate to sell your products to large companies. Becoming certified can cost $5000 or more annually
- You will get consistent quality ingredients that are certified by our HACCP, GMP, Kosher with a third-party annual audit.
- Flavor and aroma may be different for every crop.
- Consistent quality.
- Deeper flavor and aroma.
- Ingredient’s limitations.
- Unstable supply of fresh peppers.
- You can’t move your business to the next stage due to
- No limitation in ingredients.
- Stable supply.
- Nothing is stopping you from moving your business to the next stage.
- If your fresh pepper production goes wrong, you will be losing money.
- Your investment is protected.
- If you don’t like the ingredients we sent, you will be eligible for a full return, replacement, or refund.